How to Become Certified
There are many benefits to being certified through the VSI Certified Installer Program, including:
- Independent validation of your skills and knowledge.
- Improved credibility as a qualified professional installer.
- Higher quality work requiring fewer callbacks.
- Increased exposure through the website registry.
- Use of the VSI Certified Installer logo and marketing materials.
For skilled siding installers, becoming a VSI Certified Installer is easy — just take a course taught by a Certified Trainer and pass an exam that tests your knowledge about vinyl siding installation. There are courses offered across the U.S. and Canada, but the easiest way to find a course is to ask your vinyl siding supplier if they participate in the program. Individual course fees are determined by the course sponsor and include a Certification Administrative Fee that goes to the Administrator.
To become a Certified Installer, an individual must have at least three years of installation experience. Installers with three or more years of experience may also qualify to take the exam without taking the course - contact the program administrator, DataBanque, directly. Installers with less three years of experience may still participate in the program as an Apprentice Installer. Apprentice Installers will not receive their certification until they obtain the required experience.
VSI Certified Installers receive a number of resources to help them promote their certified status and market vinyl siding job. Certification through the VSI Certified Installer Program is valid for three years, then an installer must be recertified. An Installer's name is removed from the online registry on the date of certification expiration.
Approximately two to three months prior to the expiration date of certification, DataBanque mails each Certified Installer a letter of notification and a recertification registration form. Certified Installers can recertify two ways:
- ONLINE: Enter your ID and password, included in your reminder letter from DataBanque, at www.vinylsiding.org/recertify, pay the $99 online Recertification Fee, and successfully pass the online, open book examination.
- BY MAIL: Complete the Certified Installer Recertification Registration Form that DataBanque sends you or that you have downloaded from /certifiedinstaller/ciresources/index.asp. Submit payment for the $99 Recertification Fee to DataBanque, the Affidavit of Installation Experience confirming that you have remained active installing vinyl siding for the past three years, and successfully pass the recertification test sent by DataBanque.
Recertification is valid for three years. Certified Installers do not need to attend a class in order to recertify, however they do need to pass the test. For more information, please contact Diane Ruggles at DataBanque at VSISupport@databanque.com.
Certified Installer Company
In order to be recognized as a Certified Installer Company, a vinyl siding installation company must register with DataBanque. and demonstrate an approved quality control program, including having one Certified Installer or Trainer on every job crew where vinyl siding is being installed. In addition, the company must pay the fees associated with the program. This type of certification can be renewed annually.
Click here to download more information about becoming a Certified Installer Company. To inquire about an application for company certification, please contact Karen Faber at VSI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To become a Certified Trainer, an instructor must complete the Train-the-Trainer course and pass an exam on his or her training skills and knowledge of installation techniques. Certified Trainers must also submit credentials and pay registration fees.
Certification is renewed periodically. Each Certified Trainer is required to teach an average of two courses per year to maintain his or her certification.
Certified Trainers with Members Only passwords can click here for resources.