Understanding Concentrated Solar Reflection and Its Potential Damaging Effects
Damage to property caused by concentrated solar radiation reflected off multi-pane Low-e windows is infrequent and occurs only under a unique set of conditions.
As exterior cladding is among the several documented materials repeatedly affected, the Vinyl Siding Institute (VSI) is committed to documenting and sharing available information related to this phenomenon.
If you are a member of the media researching this topic, we encourage you to start with our “Open Letter to Journalists.”
Builders, remodelers, and architects: We’ve included links to white papers that provide technical information.
And all are welcomed and encouraged to watch a less technical illustration of the phenomenon in this short video (below) or click links to the right to view media stories broadcast in local markets.
Media Coverage of Damage Caused by Low-e Windows:
- Lincoln Fire Blamed on Concentrated Solar Reflection Off Low-E Window
- Toyota determines Prius damage caused by concentrated solar reflection from windows; Issues statement June 2013
- Homeowner takes digital photos of windows damaging property Aug 2012
- Melting cars, homes tied to energy-efficient windows July 2012
- The strange phenomenon that is melting vinyl siding July 2012
- Woman Claims Neighbor's Energy Efficient Windows Are Melting Her Toyota Prius Jan 2012
- It was a royal pain in the pane Dec 2011
- Melted vinyl siding, car parts, paint and pool covers puzzle homeowners Sept 2011