Companies that continually recruit have a vision; they are strategic. Great companies with great vision fully understand that the only thing constant is change. These companies understand that people change, the economy changes and the landscape changes. Forward-thinking companies with vision, understand attraction, they study it, they are prepared for it and it becomes part of their daily modus operandi (MO).
This post focuses on seven ways contractors can help themselves and attract talent leaning into 2022.
“The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule but to schedule your priorities.” – Stephen Covey
1. Identify Your Target Audience(s)
- Be intentional. Hunt, don’t fish
- Know the personality traits for each role
- Be prepared for them when you find them
2. Create an Impactful Outreach Statement
- Don’t be long-winded, keep it simple
- Identify with your target audience(s)
- Express your vision, your mission, your culture and company core values
3. Be Easy to Do Business With
- Be able to explain what your company does and explain it quickly
- Keep things simple (KISS)
- Overcommunicate the right information
- Don’t be stubborn, be flexible
4. Explain Why You Are the Company to Work With
- Be realistic and believable
- Instantly differentiate yourself from the rest
- Genuinely understand that skilled labor may not be cheap, and cheap labor may not be skilled
- Do what you say you are going to do
- Share your investments in human capital
5. Validate the Journey Your Audience Will Take
- Know your playbook
- Test the playbook, ensure it is up-to-date based on your intended audience(s)
- Adjust the playbook as often as needed
6. Let Others Speak for You
- Identify champions
- Let the champions speak
- Use social media often and incorporate it into the day-to-day
- Review your business online – see what others say
- Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback
7. Answer These Simple, Yet Important, Questions
- Would you respond to one of your ads?
- Would you work for your company?
- If the answer is no to any of these questions, start over and go back to the top
It STILL is and WILL Always be About the Details
As we embark on a new year, it is important that we get started on the right foot. Let’s lean on each other this year, more now than in the past.
“Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffet
In order to know where we are going, we have to know where we were and where we are. This reminds me of a story that I often refer to when I think about challenging times.
Remember the story of the bamboo tree:
“The seed of a bamboo tree is planted, fertilized, and watered. Nothing happens for the first year.
There´s no sign of growth, not even a hint. The same thing happens – or doesn´t happen – the second year, and then the third year. The tree is carefully watered and fertilized each year, but nothing shows. No growth. No anything.
For eight years it can continue. Eight years! Then after the eight years of fertilizing and watering have passed, with nothing to show for it – the bamboo tree suddenly sprouts and grows thirty feet in three months!” – Zig Ziglar
Why is this important? Building and growing your business takes strategy. It will sometimes take failure, and it will most certainly take time.
As I mentioned in a previous post, people are our biggest asset. To change the narrative of the skilled trades in the construction industry, we must come together, we must stand proud and we must do it in large numbers, together. Be intentional and lean in heading into 2022!
“If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together.” – African Proverb
Have a question for the Coach? Would you like to request a topic for one of the upcoming Coach’s Corner Blogs? E-mail the Coach – we are here to support you!
Want to get certified, or are you up for certification renewal? Check out our Careers and Training Page here! We also have a great Basics of Installation & Safety program for your office, sales, and warehouse staff. Learn more here!
Want to get more involved in the industry or learn more about building the life you want? Click here for more information!
Be Resilient – Add Value – Stay Healthy – Deliver the Experience - Trust the Process!
To your success,
“Coach” Rob Balfanz
Director, Workforce Development