- The Vinyl Siding Institute, Inc. (VSI) is located in Washington, DC, and represents manufacturers of vinyl and other polymeric siding and suppliers to the industry. Among the objectives of VSI are to further the development and growth of the vinyl and polymeric siding industry by helping to develop material, product and performance standards in cooperation with standards-making organizations and code bodies; engage in product stewardship and outreach activities to enhance the image of the industry and its products and serve as an information resource to remodelers, builders, planners, designers, architects elected officials, building code officials, distributors, homeowners and other exterior cladding decision-makers on the facts about vinyl siding.
- Vinyl siding holds significantly higher market share than all other exterior cladding, clearly making it the number one siding choice in the United States, a position it has held since 1995. (Source: 2015 U.S. Census Bureau)
- Vinyl siding is the ONLY exterior cladding with both third-party product certification and certified installer programs.
- VSI works with manufacturers to ensure the quality of vinyl, insulated, and polypropylene siding through its VSI Product Certification Program. Vinyl and polypropylene siding are two different types of polymeric siding with individually unique quality standards and performance characteristics; insulated siding is vinyl siding with rigid foam insulation that is laminated or permanently attached to the panel. All are certified with independent third-party verification to meet or exceed relevant ASTM quality standards. There are currently more than 840 products on VSI’s Official List of Certified Products and Colors. The list is regularly updated and can be found here.
- VSI sponsors the VSI Certified Installer Program, a comprehensive installer certification program with three distinct types of certification: Certified Installer, Certified Trainer and Certified Installer Company. Currently over 2,650 installers are certified, with more qualifying every month. The program requires experienced vinyl siding professionals to demonstrate their knowledge of vinyl siding installation techniques based on the industry standard, ASTM D4756. VSI recognizes individuals as Certified Installers based on a combination of work experience and successful completion of a course of training and examination based on the body of knowledge and applied skills needed to properly install vinyl siding. You can find a VSI Certified Installer here.
- VSI offers the expertise of a Technical Committee, which focuses on issues such as standards development, color retention, windload and impact resistance, among others.
- VSI’s Code & Regulatory Committee offers information and expertise to deal with building code issues on a local, regional or national basis.
- VSI educates remodelers, builders, planners, architects, designers and other residential construction professionals about the many benefits of vinyl siding including, beauty, durability, low maintenance, “green” performance and value.